Friday, May 12, 2006

Liberals are the Real Conservatives

I consider myself to have a liberal viewpoint. I've noticed, however, especially since Bush took office, a lot of my ideas are much more conservative than his and other so-called conservatives. For example:

  • I believe in conserving natural resources, all of them, including fossil fuels and the environment. That should make me conservative, but the conservative position is not to conserve, but rather search for more whereever necessary including wilderness preserves. That's not conservative, it's wasteful and short-sighted.

  • I believe in fiscal responsibility, again a traditionally conservative viewpoint. If you had no frame of reference beyond the current administration, you would probably think otherwise. We have a higher deficit today than at any time in history and it's growing everyday. If we continue to send manufacturing jobs overseas, we are essentially giving money away with no chance of getting it back. The benefits of cheap products today are diminished by the future reality of our country being dependent on whatever country around the world (AKA the "global economy" by the conservatives) is willing the enslave a large portion of their population to work in the very same substandard, dangerous, and unacceptable conditions American workers rights groups have fought hard to eliminate.

  • I believe the taxes paid to the federal goverment should be used to benefit the people who paid them in the first place. I do not believe income is a fair way to assess taxes, however, and this is where I think I disagree with everyone . It makes more sense to have a federal sales tax. I've heard the argument this would disproportionally penalize low income earners and I disagree because it doesn't take into consideration black market income. A drug dealer may have a part-time job at McDonald's and get welfare from the government based on that income level, but spend the cash he makes dealing drugs without ever paying federal tax on it. According to the IRS, he is a low income earner, but most of his income will never be reported. I'm not suggesting that everyone in the low income bracket has a dubious source of income, but the same principle can be applied to illegal alien income and anyone who regularly receives tips.

    On the other end of the spectrum, a corporate CEO can buy a multi-million dollar property and take it as a deduction from his taxable income, thereby neutralizing his tax payment. If the tax was collected on purchases rather than income, no one would stop buying the things they are buying now, they would receive full compensation for their work and pay a little more for every purchase. Eliminating the current tax collecting policy is something that if ever implemented, needs to be handled by a competent administration, in other words, not the current one.

So while other points of view make me a Liberal like equal rights for everyone (which I'm sorry if you are a bigotted, hypocritical, right-wing Christian "Conservative", but everyone includes gays, lesbians, and those of ambigious sexual appearance), a woman's right to choose to have a baby or not, and the one that gets less attention, but is just plain common sense, marijuana legalization, I guess you can say I'm more conservative than "real" Conservatives, but it's really what makes me Independent.

Technorati Tags:





Sphere: Related Content

No comments: