Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Austin Humane Society Gets into the Matchmaking Business!

Meet Your Match is an innovative new method for matching puppies and adult dogs with potential adopters. It matches the expectations of a new pet owner with the behavior and personality of the dog. Meet Your Match has been proven to increase the likelihood of a human/canine bond, which in turn, reduces returns to the shelter.

The Meet Your MatchTM Canine-ality Adoption Program was created by animal behaviorist Emily Weiss, Ph.D., in conjunction with the ASPCA. AHS was chosen to be the first shelter in Texas to implement the program!

Over 13,000 animals a year (which is 1,100 per month or 37 per day) are killed in Austin because they don't get adopted.

Don't breed or buy when you can save the life of an animal who deserves a second chance. Besides the Austin Humane Society, there are breed specific rescue groups, Town Lake Animal Center, Lago Vista PAWS, Central Texas SPCA, Humane Society of Williamson County, and many others with available animals. There's even a ferret rescue.

The Meet Your Match Canine-ality Adoption Program helps you find the dog that's right for you and your personality. All of our dogs are tested to determine his or her canine-ality characteristics including friendliness, playfulness, energy level, motivation and drive. Each dog is then placed into one of three color-coded categories: easy maintenance (purple), average maintenance (orange) and high maintenance (green). Within each color category are three descriptions to help you better understand the dogs canine-ality.

When you arrive at the Austin Humane Society, you'll be asked to fill out a Dog Adopter Survey. This one-page survey gathers information about your expectations of dog ownership and helps us determine the canine-ality that best suits your lifestyle. Based on the results of the survey, you'll receive a color-coded Guest Pass to help guide you to dogs that best meet your expectations and lifestyle. For example, if your pass is green, look for dogs with a green cage card.

You:
PURPLE: Couch Potato, Constant Companion, or Teacher's Pet.
ORANGE: Busy Bee, WallFlower, or Goofball
GREEN: Free Spirit, Go-Getter, or Life of the Party

Your dog:
COUCH POTATO
Like the easy life? Then I'm the perfect match for you. I'm a relaxed, laid back kind of dog who enjoys long naps, watching movies, curling up on laps, and walking very short distances from the couch to the food bowl and back.

CONSTANT COMPANION
Looking for an emotionally secure, mutually satisfying, low maintenance relationship? I am all you need. Let me sit at your feet, walk by your side, and I'll be your devoted companion forever.

TEACHERS PET
I've got the whole package smart, fuzzy, four legs, love to learn and live to please. Go ahead, teach me anything. Sit, stay, balance your checkbook, I can do it all. Keep me entertained and I will be yours forever.


WALLFLOWER
Shy yet charming canine searching for patient owner with relaxed lifestyle. Looking for gentle guidance to help me come out of my shell. Treat me sweet and kind and I'll blossom.

BUSY BEE
I'm a naturally playful, curious and trusting canine. Take me for a big walk every day; give me something to do. After my job's done, I'll curl up in with you in the evenings. I'm a dog on a mission to please you and myself.

GOOFBALL
I'm a fun-loving, happy-all-the-time, glass-is-half-full kind of dog looking for someone who loves to laugh and play around. Must have a great sense of humor and a bunch of tennis balls.


LIFE OF THE PARTY
I think everything is fun, interesting and meant for play, especially you. Anything you do, I'll want to do too. With my own brand of surprise, life with me will keep you constantly on your toes, and the fun is guaranteed.

GO-GETTER
Want to get more exercise? Action is my middle name. My Lets GO! lifestyle will keep you motivated to get outside and move. I've got tons of energy; and just like the sun, I'm burning and working 24 hours a day, seven days a week. I'll run for miles, chase a ball for hours, and still want to play at the end of the day.

FREE SPIRIT
Intelligent, independent, confident and clever, I prefer making my own decisions but will listen to you if you make a good case. We're partners in this adventure. Treat me like one and we'll both live happily ever after.


Visit Austin Humane Society for more information.

Technorati Tags:






Note: I did not write most of this posting, nor do I wish to imply that I did. I do want to promote the practice of adopting shelter animals and simply reformatted an email announcement from the Austin Humane Society with additional statistics for the purpose of promoting this innovative new program. Sphere: Related Content

No comments: