Thursday, April 16, 2009

Shadow and Blusher

These are my 2 regular feral kitties that come by to eat almost every day. The flame point was already spayed when I trapped her and took her for surgery so they just gave her a Rabies vaccination and tipped her ear. The little black tuxedo was just over a year old when I took her, and she was already pregnant. I call the flame point Blusher and my neighbor named the tuxedo Shadow Cat because she said she only saw her running to hide and it seemed like the shadow of a cat. I didn't realize at first that by naming the other one Blusher I had chosen a make up themed name for the pair. It's fitting, though, because they are always together.

I started feeding them when I moved in about a year and a half ago. At that time, the tuxedo was so skinny I didn't think she was healthy enough for surgery. When she got to the point where all her ribs weren't showing I trapped her and took her to emanciPET to get spayed with one of the Humane Society feral cat vouchers. I was able to get both of these girls the same night since they hang out together, but I never got the male into the trap.

Sadly, I think he developed an abscess on his hind leg because he started limping and got progressively worse, then I never saw him again. I felt so bad because I couldn't get close enough to him to see why he was limping. He didn't have any visible wounds and he lost a lot of weight in the last month he came around. Then, I guess, he curled up somewhere and died. I went out for a couple of weeks calling and looking for him and he was nowhere to be found. I don't think he was more than 3 years old. He was all long white hair except for a bushy black tail and I called him Ringer because it looked like you could throw a horseshoe around his tail. I think one of my neighbors called him Scruffy, and he was, but he was always Ringer to me.

Now, there's another long haired black male that comes more often, or at least I see him more often, than when Ringer was here. I also saw a long haired very fat female for the first time on Monday. The apartment manager has a little kitten in the office right now that wandered in also on Monday. I don't think the female is the mother because this kitten is already eating on her own. I guess I'll need to start looking for a litter of kittens.

I don't know where to start, though, since I've never seen the female before and I don't know her territory. A raccoon came up behind her, even brushed against her, to get to the food I put out. She was more scared of me than the raccoon, so I doubt she's had any human contact. She wouldn't come out of the bushes until I went inside, but I looked out the peep hole and saw her eating. Sphere: Related Content

No comments: