Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy Paddy Day

It should come as no surprise that the shop where I work ordered some green dyed Carnations for St. Patrick's Day. That's some of them on the right. These were dyed by putting green dye into a bucket, cutting the bottom of white Carnation stems and placing them into the dye. It is absorbed up through the stem where it leaves pigment deposits. You can't really see it, but these almost looked like lace doilies the way the dye was absorbed. Whether this was food coloring or specially made for flowers I don't know since I didn't do the dying.

Along with the green Carnations I used ivory Stock (smells great!), naturally green Spider Poms and Hydrangea. What struck me as odd about the dyed green Carnations is that there is actually a natural green Carnation called Pistachio. Ironically, it's the only Carnation I like and, of course, this shop never gets any.

After making this arrangement I decided to go rogue on the next Paddy themed order. This one was for a birthday tomorrow (the day after Paddy), but they wanted a Paddy theme.


I used a short green glass urn with the same flowers as the first one (sans Carnations), used white Stock instead of ivory, and added Bupleurum and Australian Heather. Obviously I made it in the style I like rather than the traditional style of the first one. The photo on the left is looking slightly down, on the right is straight down.


Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

sailpup said...

Spider poms are cool!